If you are using iphone or new android phone with Bluetooth BLE
or Bluetooth 4.0 and above, you might want to check this BlueBee V4.0 out.
This is Dual mode Bluetooth BLE module in XBee form factor, so you can utilize XBee shield
to configure it.
BLE is Bluetooth Low Energy and also known as Bluetooth Smart. With BLE, you can establish link with iOS (iphone) and Android (as of 4.3 and above). Unlike classic Bluetooth (BlueBee
), BLE has no big contracts to sign and no major hoops that you have to jump through to create iOS peripherals that you can legally design and distribute in the App Store, which makes it a great choice compared to classic Bluetooth which had (and still has) a lot of restrictions around it on the iOS platform. So developing app for iOS become easy 🙂
Furthermore, this module is Dual mode, it supports both classic and BLE. Yes, it can creates connection to the classic version of Bluetooth module too.
Though it is in XBee form factor (pin out), BlueBee 4.0 uses Bluetooth Technology. It is compact in size, the pinout is compatible with XBee which is suitable for all kinds of microcontroller systems that have 3.3V power out, the module utilize AT commands to set baud rate and other parameters. BlueBee 4.0 also contains onboard 3.3V voltage regulator and logic level shifter which makes it compatible to 5V systems as well.
Generally, BlueBee 4.0 has 2 operation: transparent and AT. This module does not require manual switching between these 2 operations. When the module is not connected to any other Bluetooth devices, it is in AT operation, when it is connected, it will enter transparent operation automatically. In BLE mode, BlueBee 4.0 can be configured as both master and slave module. Communication between 2 BlueBee 4.0 modules or between the module and other Bluetooth device is possible. It acts like a transparent serial port, which works with a variety of Bluetooth adapter and Bluetooth devices. Besides serial data transmission, BlueBee 4.0 module can be configured in remote control. In this condition, AT command can be sent remotely to inquire or set its parameters such as name, baudrate, etc or even control the I/O pins.
- BT Version: Bluetooth Specification V4.0 & BLE
- UART send and receive max bytes is 512
- Other device to module in SPP mode: 90 Bytes per packet
- Other device to module in BLE mode: 20 Bytes per packet
- Two data transmission mode, balance mode and high speed mode
- Working frequency: 2.4GHz ISM band
- Modulation method: GFSK(Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying)
- RF Power: -23dbm, -6dbm, 0dbm, 6dbm
- Speed: Asynchronous: 3K Bytes
- Synchronous: 3K Bytes
- Security: Authentication and encryption
- Service: Slave SPP, Peripheral BLE, UUID FFE0,FFE1
- Power: +3.3VDC 50mA
- Long range: SPP 30 meters, BLE 60 meters
- Power: SPP 13.5mA, BLE 9.5mA
- Serial port settings: 4800 ~ 230400 / N / 8 / 1
- Baud rate default: 115200 bps
- EDR Pair Number/ID: 1234
- Working temperature:–5 ~ +65 Centigrade
- Size: 33.9mm x 24.6mm x 9 mm